Chilton County
Sheriff's Office
Clanton, Alabama
Mobile Version Like us on Facebook! Find us on Twitter!

Crime Tips HOTline
or Submit Via Email

Main Phone:
(205) 755-4698

Main Fax:
(205) 280-7245

Jail Phone:
(205) 755-1053

Jail Fax:
(205) 280-1580

After Hours (Dispatch):
(205) 755-1120
(24 Hours)

Dial 911

Email Map

500 2nd Avenue North
Clanton, AL 35045

Office Hours:

M-F 8:00am - 4:00pm


How do I report a crime ?

If the crime is "in progress," call 9-1-1. If the crime has already occurred and no immediate emergency exists, call 205-755-1120 to request a Officer/ Deputy come to your location and make an Incident Report. 

What should I do if I suspect someone is involved in selling or trafficking in drugs?

You may report your suspicions to our Narcotics Unit by calling 205-755-7898. You do not have to give your name when reporting your suspicions.

What is the procedure for a citizen to commend a Sheriff's Department employee?

We request that you submit a commendation letter to the Sheriff containing the name of the employee and the circumstances surrounding the commendation (to include the date, time and location). Commendation letters should be sent to: Sheriff John Shearon, Chilton County Sheriff's Office, 500 2nd Ave North, Clanton, Al 35045.

What happens when I am a victim of a crime and an arrest is made? 

Once an investigation has been completed and the offender is arrested they are presumed innocent until convicted by a court of competent jurisdiction. All offenders arrested on felony & misdemeanor charges fall under the jurisdiction of the Chilton County District Court. Once the offender has been charged it is up to the court to keep the victim, investigators and officers apprised as to the status of a case. This is done through the subpoena process. If a victim, investigator or witness is needed for court appearances they will be notified by the court. 

 What do I do when I'm being pulled over by an officer?  

There are many laws and regulations in place to help ensure that Chilton County roads and highways are safe places to travel. Enforcement of these laws can be stressful for both motorist and deputy sheriffs alike. Find out how to make your experience with a traffic stop as stress free as possible. After stopping, unless directed by the deputy to get out of your car, please wait in your car for the deputy to approach. Please keep your hands on the steering wheel and do not make any sudden movements or reach into your glove compartment. The deputy will ask for your driver’s license and proof of liability insurance. If you have a weapon in the car this is the time to calmly tell the deputy that you have one and where it is. Please do not reach for it! The deputy will explain why you were stopped. This is not the time to contest the stop or a citation if one is later issued. The Chilton County Sheriff’s Office uses both marked and unmarked cars for patrol duties. All our marked units are equipped with lights, stripes, and sirens. All of our unmarked units are equipped with lights in the grill / windshield, back window, and tail-lights. 

What do I do if the officer asks me to step out of my car?  

If you are asked to step out of your car, please do so without argument. Walk to the back of your car on the side away from traffic or as directed by the deputy sheriff.

 What do I do if I'm being stopped and unsure that it is Law Enforcement ?

Unfortunately, the reality is that there are occasional cases of police impersonators pulling over motorists. There are a variety of law enforcement agencies either working on our streets and highways, namely the Sheriff’s office and highway patrol, or on their way to another destination. Our unmarked units, which are in a variety of makes and models, are equipped with flashing lights in the front grill, visor, or windshields and have sirens. The unit may or may not have a spotlight. If you are being stopped by what appears to be an unmarked car, acknowledge the officer by turning on your four-way hazard flashers and driving to the nearest well-lit area at a reduced speed. If the officer is not in uniform, lock your door and roll your window down about an inch. Ask the officer to identify him/herself with his or her badge and ID Card. If you do not believe the officer, ask him to call for a marked police vehicle so you can verify that he or she is a Police Officer. Officers are required to call in all vehicle stops to dispatch. You can also call the Chilton County 911 Dispatch on your cell phone by using 9-1-1 or (205) 755-1120 - to verify you have been stopped by an officer.

How do I file a complaint on a member of Chilton County Sheriff's Office ? 


 What bonding Companies are authorized to sign at the Chilton County Jail ?

AAA Century Bail Bond 205-280-0033

AABBA Wade Bonding 205-280-1123

AA Absolute Bail Bonding 205-438-3010

How do I write an Inmate ?

The mailing address for letters and/or cards is 301 City Street Clanton, Al 35045. It must have the inmates full name, and be written in pencil, black or blue ink only. Letters must be on white paper, note book paper, or typed on computer paper. No photos, no perfume, no drawings or clippings, no extra envelopes or stamps. Cards must be store bought, no glitter or musical. No drawing or handmade cards. Cards and letters must be mailed by the Postal Service.

Can I have a message passed along to an Inmate ?

Inmate are not allowed to receive messages other than by mail. ( Emergency exceptions only and must be verified by jail administration.)

 How do I accept calls/put money on phone account's to receive call ?

To accept calls from the jail you must call 1-800-844-6591 and set-up a account. The facility code for Chilton County Jail is 5500.

Can I bring medication to an Inmate ?

Prescription medication can be brought in for inmates (no controlled substance.) Photo Id is required to leave medication.

Other Agency phone numbers ?

Clanton PD 205-755-1194

Jemison PD 205-688-4491

Thorsby PD 205-646-3555

Maplesville 334-366-4211

Chilton County Clerks Office 205-755-4698

These agnecies are open during normal business hours, if it is an emegency please call 9-1-1. If no immediate emergency exists, call 205-755-1120 to request a Officer/Deputy come to your location and make an Incident Report.  


Public Records Request Form

The Alabama Public Records Law is a series of laws designed to guarantee that the public has access to the records of government bodies at all levels in Alabama. The Chilton County Sheriff's Office operates on an open and transparent level. It allows the media, commercial business, or individuals to request documents and records.


To submit a Public Records request form to the Chilton County Sheriff’s Office, please click the link below and follow the instructions.


Public Records Request Form