The State of Alabama recognizes concealed carry pistol licenses or permits issued by other states; however, the carrier must observe all applicable laws while in Alabama. (SEE THE ABOVE LIST). Also, a person may carry or transport a long gun (rifle or shotgun) without a permit. A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:
- The firearm is unloaded.
- Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
- In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console. Title 18 U.S.C, section 926A
Under Alabama law, no person convicted in this state or elsewhere of a "crime of violence" may own or possess a pistol. Section 13A-11-72. Crimes of violence are defined as murder, manslaughter, rape, assault, robbery, burglary, and kidnapping. No person addicted to drugs or habitually intoxicated may own or possess a pistol. Section 13A-11-72. Any person in violation of Alabama's pistol laws may be arrested and upon conviction, subjected to a term of imprisonment of not more than one year and a fine of not more than $500, or both. The pistol will be seized and may be forfeited by court order.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION OF PISTOL PERMIT APPLICATION
DO NOT MAIL PAYMENT WITH APPLICATION
Ensure all requested information is filled in COMPLETELY and ACCURATELY; failure to do so may result in delays or denial of the application.
All lines that request an address MUST have city, state and zip code to be considered complete.
Pistol Permit applications may also be obtained at the Chilton County Sheriff's Office located at 500 2nd Ave North Clanton, Alabama.
This application is for a general class non-restrictive concealed carry permit. It covers concealed carry of a handgun and does not require the licensee to carry a specific firearm.
You may use the following option to submit your pistol permit application:
1) Complete this form on-line at https://chiltonal.permitium.com/ccw/start
Please read the following before applying for a permit:
- You can only apply for a permit in the county where you live; therefore you must be a resident of Chilton County before you can apply for a permit with this office.
- You are not required to have a permit for a rifle or shotgun.
- Once the application has been submitted, please allow up to 30 business days for it to be processed. You should call the Sheriff's Office at (205) 755-4698 M-F 8am to 4pm to inquire on the status of your application.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to apply for a permit.
- You must appear in person to pick up a permit, a renewal notice will be mailed in the month of expiration.
- Permits can be issued up to five years at a time.
- The Sheriff's Office accepts currency, money orders or checks.
Permits may be picked up Monday thru Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm.
Concealed Carry Firearms Permits Information Disclosure Policy:
It is the policy of the Chilton County Sheriff's Office to maintain the privacy of all individuals who hold a concealed carry firearms permit issued by the Sheriff of Chilton County. Records concerning information on concealed carry firearms permits are considered confidential and are not released to the public.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION OF PISTOL PERMIT APPLICATION
Follow the secure link to create an account with a log-on name and password to start the application process required by law for the background check. Fill in the required information for the background check and you will be notified within 30 days of your approval. Payment can be made on-line with a credit or debit card with a service fee. You may also pay at the counter here in the Sheriff’s Office, by check or cash with no service fee. You will be notified of your approval by email, text, or automated telephone call. Please bring a valid Alabama Driver’s License or Alabama State ID card for verification when you pick-up your permit. We are open Monday through Friday (except holidays) from8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Permits not picked up within 60 days will require reprocessing of the background check.
Those permit holders seeking renewal will be required to also go on-line and create an account under this new Pistol Permit issuing system.
- The question regarding being charged or convicted of any crime DOES include traffic tickets. While it is not required for you to list each one separately, or to have specific years, failure to disclose this information may be grounds for denial of the application.
- “OTHER NAMES” is intended for use for prior last names. Please include any LEGAL names you have used for identification.
- The question “Has your license ever been revoked?” refers to a pistol license, not a driver’s license.
The question regarding being charged or convicted of any crime DOES include traffic tickets. While it is not required for you to list each one separately, or to have specific years, failure to disclose this information may be grounds for denial of the application.
You may return the application in one of two ways:
Bring the application and your driver’s license to the Chilton County Sheriff’s Office Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We apologize for the inconvenience but we are unable to issue permits after 4:00 p.m.
Mail the completed application to the Sheriff’s Office:
Chilton County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Gun Permits
500 2nd Ave North
Clanton, Al 35045
When listing phone numbers, one of the blanks may be used for a cell phone number if that is the best way to reach the applicant.
*We only except Cash or Check’s
Click here to download application.
| 1 Year
Click HERE to visit the Alabama Attorney General’s Website for more information
Click here for ATF Guidelines
Pistol Permits ALABAMA RECIPROCAL PISTOL PERMIT (CONCEALED CARRY) AGREEMENT WITH THE FOLLOWING STATES:
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia