You must present a completed application at the sheriff’s office to receive a Pistol License.
1. Who may obtain a Pistol License?
Alabama State Code 13A – 11 – 70 et., seq. (1975) provides that the Sheriff of a county may issue a qualified or unlimited license to a person residing in the county, and is a suitable person to be licensed. Kevin Davis is the Sheriff of Chilton County.
2. Who may not obtain a pistol license? There are many people who cannot obtain a pistol license. Most of these are prohibited because of certain State and Federal Laws. All the Laws contained in this question are contained in the Alabama State Code and in the Gun Control Act of 1968. The people who cannot obtain a pistol license are as follows:
1. No person who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence;
2. No person who is a Drug Addict;
3. No person who is a habitual drunkard;
4. No person convicted of a felony or any degree of theft;
5. No person discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
6. No person who has been adjudged by a court as mentally incompetent;
7. No citizen of the United States who has renounced his citizenship;
8. No person convicted of the Family Violence Act, even though the charge may be a misdemeanor;
9. No person illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
10. No person who has been convicted of an offense involving firearms;
11. No person who has been convicted of an offense involving explosives;
12. No person who is not deemed suitable or proper by the Sheriff’s Office.
3. What are the age requirements to obtain a pistol permit?
The applicant must be at least 21 years of age. At age 19, with the expressed permission of a parent or legal guardian, the Sheriff will consider issuance of a license.
4. May a pistol License be revoked?
Yes, Title 13A-11-75 of the State Law provides that the Sheriff may revoke a license.
5. Is the license valid in other counties?
Yes, Title 13A-11-75 of the State Law says the license is valid within all the counties of the state.
6. How can a pistol license be renewed and how much does it cost?
Bring cash or check in the amount of $25.00 to:
Chilton County Sheriff’s Office
500 2nd Avenue North Room 204 Clanton, Alabama 35045
7. Where do you obtain an application for a Pistol Permit?
1. Chilton County Sheriff’s Office 2. Download an application.
500 2nd Avenue North Room 204
Clanton, Alabama 35045
8. Will I be investigated if I make an application to the Chilton County Sheriff’s Department for a pistol License? Yes, we will make an investigation.
1. We will check to see if you have a previous arrest record.
2. You must list three references on your application and give their telephone numbers.
9. Office Hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Pistol Permits – Reciprocity
In 2001, the State of Alabama passed legislation recognizing handgun licenses issued by other states provided that state would recognize Alabama’s pistol license. This allows residents of the State of Alabama who have a valid pistol permit to carry their weapon in any of these states, and also authorizes persons from these states to carry a pistol in Alabama.
> View Reciprocity States (.PDF)